Curriculum Vitae - English
Since 1966 he has been a member of the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra.
Volker Altmann is a member of following chamber-music groups of the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra:
- Bläservereinigung der Wiener Philharmoniker
- Vienna Wind Soloists (Wiener Bläsersolisten)
- Vienna Chamber Ensemble (Wiener Kammerensemble)
- Wiener Bläserensemble
- Wiener Virtuosen
Numerous concerts and recordings with these ensembles (see discography).
He has been participating at Gidon Kremer’s Chamber Music Festival in Lockenhaus for 15 years.
He has been teaching chamber music for wind instruments at the University of Music in Vienna from 1988 until 2001 and since 1982 Volker Altmann has his own class for horn at the Konservatorium Wien University.
He frequently was invited as guest professor to the “Internationale Mozart Akademie/International Mozart Academy” ( Prague - Krakow - Warsaw) founded by Sandor Vegh.
1998 and 1999 he was guest professor at the “International Horntage” in Stams/ Tyrol together with Erich Penzel and Peter Damm.
Volker Altmann has also been a member of following Jurys:
- “Karajan Wettbewerb” organized by the Karajan Center –Vienna
- “Live Music Now” founded by J.Menuhin
- “Gradum ad Parnassum” - the big Austrian youth-competition
- International Competitions 1999 and 2004 at the Stamser and Telfser “International Horntage“
- Lieksa Brass Festival 2005
In 2005, Volker Altmann has given a masterclass at the Beijing Conservatory of Music.
In the same year he toured as part of The Horns of Berlin & Vienna Philharmonics.
Since 2006, Volker is teaching chamber music for wind instruments at the University for Music and Dramatic Arts (Universität für Musik und darstellende Kunst) in Graz.